Tuesday, September 25, 2012

NHL 13: Build of the Week -- Sniper ... Again

Updating this build now that I have hit Legend 1. Thanks to VexExil from the comments for linking me to the new NHL 13 player creator here. I will be posting all of my builds in that format now. Note that this shows attributes then you have to add in the boosts in parenthesis.

Sniper (LW) Legend 1
5'10"
170lbs
11" skates
Regular Flex
2nd Curve from the top


Deking: 77
Hand Eye: 83 (+8)
Off Awareness: 70
Passing: 71
Puck Control: 80 (+5)
SS Accuracy: 65
SS Power: 65
WS Accuracy: 86 (+8)
WS Power: 86 (+8)

Aggression: 80
Body Check: 72
Def Awareness: 78
Discipline: 80
Faceoffs: 65
Fighting: 65
Shot Blocking: 70
Stick Check: 78

Acceleration: 82 (+5)
Agility: 80 (+8)
Balance: 65
Durability: 65
Endurance: 80
Speed: 82 (+8)
Strength: 68

As you can see the biggest changes are even bigger shot, lowered the passing, and lowered the hand eye a touch. Defense still running no boosts and 4 of those categories are maxed. 78 stick check is still plenty. Athletically all of Acceleration/Agility/Speed/Endurance are maxed. With 90 speed you can make a lot happen offensively and still be able to get back to backcheck.

This could have been it's own post but I am going to throw it in here since it pertains to this build.

There was some spirited debate in the comments of the last post about balance and it's importance. I am of the opinion for small fast builds like my sniper balance is mostly worthless. This is mainly because you are going to get crushed no matter what your balance is and any points you put in balance are going to take away from your skating.  If you are building a forward who is going to go to the front of the net a lot or try to hold the puck in a lot of traffic then balance is probably pretty important (need to do more research) but with a sniper build (the way I play it) it is all about quickness, speed, and shot. I would also say that if you want more stability in addition to adding balance and strength make your player larger. It will make you slower but also make you more stable. Some common breakpoints are 6'0" 195 and 6'3" 205 in addition to the height and weight for my sniper build.

I will try to throw up a different build type next. Either Power Forward or Offensive Defenseman. I have both setup and have played them both a bit.

11 comments:

  1. Do you think this build is viable for 2v2 eashl play? Or do you think it lacks too much defense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely viable. I don't play a ton of 2v2 but when I have we have generally done well and I can take the puck from just about anyone even with the feeble defensive stats. It isn't the best build to knock down passes with but if you are in the lane you can stop it for sure.

      Delete
  2. When you do play 2v2, what defensive strategies do you use? I have been playing around with different ones but have not found one I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably the best is as passive as possible for the cpu players so they don't get caught as often but even that isn't enough to keep guys from flying by them. You have to balance risk versus reward in 2v2. We tend to play one aggressive one hangs back a bit and we only both attack when it will have a chance of generating a very good opportunity. Because you know when you miss that puck is getting called for at the center line by the other team who is cherry picking.

      Delete
  3. I would like to know your main method of scoring on CPU Goalies with this build. I previously read you use "canon toe drags" and have been experimenting with this to no avail. Could you maybe upload a video of how you score these? Much appreciated! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have really cut down the efficiency of straight up wristers in the last tuner. They still go in but it seems more random now. What I do is pull the puck back and to the right and then shoot for one of the top corners from inside the top of the circles or closer. That or just quick release shots when you get it in the slot generally back the other way that the goalie is moving.

      I can try to video what I do but I don't have very good video equipment so it won't look great. But maybe I will screw around with it this weekend.

      Delete
    2. I'm not going to lie, I have found most of my fun in the NHL franchise playing 2v2's with my partner and we have always used a combination of straight shots and precision passes to score. It seems that you can't do either anymore and the game is a lot less fun. It seems the best way to score nowadays is rebounds along the ice. Super frustrating. I hope they nerf the computer goalies down to a realistic difficulty.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely loving this build thus far. Just one concern, I don't know if this is an issue for you but my player just misses the net constantly, even with 90+ accuracy. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I have noticed is how fast you are going affects your accuracy in a big way so if you slow down a bit before you shoot or get setup more stationary to receive a pass it helps shot accuracy a lot.

      Delete
  5. Is this build left/right handed? What's your opinion on handedness for LW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play left wing and I play right handed. I think it just depends on what you like to do offensively. I like being able to cut to the middle and get the shot or peel off and circle around to setup. When I play right wing I am also right handed and I just can't get as much going it seems. However, it is easier to protect the puck going down the wing if you have your stick on your on side (right for right wing, etc.).

      Delete