Friday, October 26, 2012

NHL 13: Build of the Week -- Two Way Defenseman


This week we have a two way defender build that should allow you to keep the front of the net clear and yet also chip in a bit offensively.

2 Way Defender
Legend 2

6'0"
195lbs
11" skates
Regular Flex
2nd Curve from the bottom


Deking: 77
Hand Eye: 79 (+8)
Off Awareness: 77 (+5)
Passing: 82
Puck Control: 78 (+5)
SS Accuracy: 77 (+5)
SS Power: 82
WS Accuracy: 69
WS Power: 65

Aggression: 79
Body Check: 82
Def Awareness: 85
Discipline: 82
Faceoffs: 65
Fighting: 65
Shot Blocking: 79
Stick Check: 82 (+5)

Acceleration: 82 (+8)
Agility: 81 (+8)
Balance: 75
Durability: 65
Endurance: 80
Speed: 81 (+8)
Strength: 75

I have noticed that once you get a decent number of points (say legend 1) you really start running out of places to spend them for a lot of these builds. It really comes down to how you configure your boosts. It makes +3s even more important than before because the cap is a hard limit whereas in NHL 12 you could look at the costs of something and see if that +3 bought you more than a +5 somewhere else.

So to that end the entire offensive category outside of the wrist shot attributes are maxed. I debated between  having higher deking vs. the higher hand eye and went with hand eye. I think 84 is just a bit too low to one time a shot. If you are a team that plays catch and then shoot then 84 is probably enough and you can spend that boost on deking or somewhere else. The slapshot is reasonable and there are spares for the wrister even.

Defensively everything is maxed that is important and the rest went into shot blocking.

Athletically this is a pretty strong build with good skating attributes, endurance, and even a moderate amount of balance and strength. The high level skating will allow you to stay with quick forwards and the balance and strength will help you against an aggressive forecheck.

11 comments:

  1. I have a build which is nearly identical to this one and I love it. Do you know if this year they have auto saucer that kicks in when your passing reaches a certain point? I find it annoying to have to hit RB to saucer pass.

    How about a power forward next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you auto saucer regardless this year. I run my passing at 70 on my grinder and it does it there.

      I can do power forward next. Just need to swap over to that build for a night or two to get it where I like it.

      Probably won't be for a couple of nights. We won the playoffs last night and had 3 of the 4 games go to multiple overtimes so we are all a little stressed and need a night off.

      Delete
    2. wow nice! Showoff :p I want a competative playoff run, that would be fun!
      we play 2v2 so we cant win all that much. Its amazing how dumb the ai is. no skater in the history of the world slows down at the blue line when under no pressure. the AI makes me so mad my vision blurs LOL. Finally started looking for more players before i lose my mind.

      I got within 1 game from legend a few times, then i get tossed on a team of idiots on drop in games. Goalies purposely letting in goals just to spite teamates.. painful. I expected a more mature group in NHL than typical FPS crowd I am with, and i think its actually the opposite :| Congrats on your win.

      Delete
  2. Really? My player always passes along the ice no matter what. Any tips on that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember throwing saucers when I do the quick tap passes but also seem to remember throwing stretch passes that get vertical as well. I will have to double check. I won't run much passing on a power forward so it should be easy to see.

      Delete
  3. The thing is that I want to throw long distance saucers that will go over a defending players stick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi there
    thx for ur blog and also ur build and comment!
    i wanna know, could you please tell me wich one to max out first. to help me ingame since im not a hardcore player. i just need some help to be good even at low rank. im almosr at pro2 right now
    thx in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, here is my list of things to upgrade first. On defense, stick check, then discipline, then defensive awareness, and then whatever. On offense I like to crank puck control, hand eye, and at least get a few points in deking. Athletically I balance speed, acceleration, agility, and make sure I have some points in endurance. Then throw a few in balance and maybe strength so you can take a hit.

      Delete
  5. how would you run this now with a legend 3 card? any different?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would run smaller and 9 inch skates. Also, offensive D is tricky and not great defensively. Would avoid.

    ReplyDelete